Learn to Scuba Dive – Open Water Scuba Diver Course – Get Certified!
You’re on your way to being a qualified Scuba Diver and we can’t wait to share the experience with you!
Scuba diving is possibly one of the most rewarding activities you will ever embrace! The Open Water Diver Course is your Gateway to the Underwater World! This course is your ticket to a whole new world filled with exotic, playful little creatures that will entertain and amuse all that are privileged to venture below the waves. You will experience total weightlessness and tranquillity as you glide through kaleidoscopes of colours and over reefs bursting with life just waiting to be explored.
The Open Water Scuba Diver Course is the first of many that trains and equips you to experience the unique underwater environment. It consists of 4 interactive lectures done in a very relaxed and informal format covering the basics of diving.
There are 6 fun filled, exciting confined water sessions done in a heated pool where you learn to play with all your new toys and master a few skills, followed by 2 dives at miracle waters (summer months only)
Finally you venture into the open water environment doing 3 dives where, all you have learned becomes a reality – the adventure has only just begun!
Course Costs: R5 350
This excludes the SSI course material of R850
- 4 evening lectures (no DVD training) – Very Thorough Training
- 6 Pool Sessions
- 2 dives at Miracle waters – Summer months only
- 3 Sea Dives at Sodwana Bay – 4 dives in the winter months
- Accommodation in Sodwana
- COMPLETE GEAR HIRE (This includes the hire of all Soft Gear and Hard Gear)
- SSI qualification to 18 meters
- Entrance fees to Miracle Waters.- R140
- Entrance fee at Sodwana Bay -R45 per day
- Transport costs to Sodwana
- Meals and drinks at Sodwana
- Diving License (yearly fee – approx. R98)
- Optional dive on the second day
- SSI Course material of R850
Please note that many people erroneously rush out and buy snorkelling equipment before attending the lectures. Scuba Diving is a specialised sport and your instructor is there to advise you on the most suitable equipment for you – Please wait for your equipment lecture to avoid any unnecessary expense!
* We require a R500 non refundable deposit to book your spot on this course, at least 2 weeks prior to course. Final payment needs to be in 1 week before course start. If for some reason you are unable to attend the course, we can push you to the next course, or we can refund you the course amount less deposit, as long as 24hours notice has been given. If you cancel during the course, you will have to cover your accommodation cost at Sodwana, as accommodation is booked in advance. If you cancel less than 48hr prior to departure to Sodwana Bay, you will have to cover accommodation as well as dive costs.
- Participants must be able to swim
- Minimum Age: 12
- Maximum Age: No limit provided the participant is healthy with no prior medical conditions.
- Prior Medical Conditions must be discussed with the Instructor allocated to the Course.
- Special mention should be made of the following Medical Conditions:
– Heart Disorders
– Lung Disorders
– Severe Claustrophobia
– Recent Chest Colds
– Recent Sinus Infections, Treatments and/or Surgeries
(Please note: Not all of the above mentioned medical conditions are a definite exclusion from an Open Water Scuba Diver Course, and a participant may engage in the course provided a Medical Certificate is provided by his/her Doctor stating that said participant is fit to Dive.)
Time Requirements for the Course:
The course runs over a period of 4 weeks, and is made up of:
- 5 evenings for lectures and a pool session
- 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday for pool training
- 1 Sunday for Miracle waters
- 4 days at Sodwana Bay for qualifying dives
The Open Water Scuba Diver Course really requires a time commitment from each of its participants. Our course is incredibly thorough and every effort is made to make sure it is an enjoyable and manageable course for all students.
The schedules require huge effort and planning from each allocated instructor and participants are expected to attend the classes on time and as scheduled.
Should issues arise with regards to the schedule, it is the responsibility of the participant to set aside time to arrange a catchup session with their Instructors at their own cost. (R200 per lecture and R300 per pool session) THE INSTRUCTOR HAS THE RIGHT TO DENY CATCH UP SESSIONS AND PUT YOU ONTO THE NEXT MONTHS COURSE IF THEY FEEL YOU ARE NOT READY OR IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO CATCH UP ANY SESSIONS.
Upon completion of the course, students will be a SSI qualified open water diver. This means the diver will be able to dive all over the world to a maximum of 18 meters, both at coastal and inland locations with their qualification cards.
Deposit and payments
A deposit of R850 is required to secure your spot on the course. This is a non-refundable deposit and is used to cover the costs of your training material.
Final payment needs to be made by latest start of course. If payment has not been made, you will not be able to join any of the training until final amount has been received.
If cancellations have been made within 24hrs prior to course start, you will be refunded the full course fee less the deposit of R850.
If cancelation occurs during the running of the course, you will be refunded the course fee less R2550, which covers the R850 deposit as well as accommodation at the coast, which is booked and paid for in advance.
If cancellation occurs during the running of the course, and you wish to join a course running at a later date, you will be required to pay for your accommodation at Sodwana for that period on top of the course fee already paid.
Courses running from June – September will be classified as winter courses.
These courses will exclude the miracle waters dives, as it will be too cold to dive there. Instead the course will include an extra dive at Sodwana Bay.
Course fee will then increase to R5650 excluding course material to cover the extra dive at Sodwana Bay
Click on a Schedule Below to Register for the Divetek Open Water Scuba Diver Course: